46 (1991 Base (LKO) Vehicles) Power Steering Pressure Circuit - Open
The PCM provides a 12 volts bias on the circuit to the power steering pressure switch (PSPS) which is also connected to ground. The switch is normally closed. When pressure exceeds 31O3 - 4482 kPa (450 - 650 PSIG) , the switch opens. The contacts will remain open until pressure drops below 2413 kPa (350 PSIG) .
Code 46 will set if:
- Vehicle has power steering.
- The PCM indicates an open power steering pressure switch circuit.
Code 46 will set when:
- Vehicle speed is above 64 KPH (40 MPH).
- Circuit is open for more than 25 seconds.
- When attempting to diagnose an intermittent problem use the Scan Tool to review supplemental diagnostic information. The supplemental data can be used to duplicate a problem. Select MALF History from Scan Tool EC menu.
- Check the tightness of the female terminal grip with a spare male terminal.