54 Five Volt Reference Grounded
The five volt reference circuit provides a signal voltage to the handwheel sensor, MAP sensor, and TPS. The return line is grounded through the PCM. Flag 54 detects a short to ground in any of the three, five volt reference circuits or inside the PCM.
Information Flag Parameters
Information Flag 54 will set if:
- MAP sensor signal is zero.
- Handwheel sensor signal is zero (if equipped).
- TPS signal is zero.
- When attempting to diagnose an intermittent problem, use the Scan Tool to review supplemental diagnostic information. The supplemental data can be used to duplicate a problem. Select MALF History from Scan Tool EC menu.
- Check the tightness of the female terminal grip with a spare male terminal.
- The engine must meet the flag setting conditions in order to diagnose the code.
NOTICE: Information flags should be used for diagnostic purposes only. They do not necessarily indicate component malfunction/failure.
IMPORTANT: Vehicles without handwheel sensors are still equipped with the wiring for the sensor, Except for the base model ("ZF" 4th and 5th digit of VIN).